Campers who play the flute, clarinet, saxophone, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium, or tuba at New England Music Camp perform in either the Symphonic Band or the Concert Band, and may also be selected to perform in Symphony Orchestra or Concert Orchestra. Seating for the bands and orchestras is based on an initial audition held on the first day of camp and is assigned based on skill and performance level, not age.
Campers who play the saxophone, trumpet and trombone can also choose to participate in the jazz program, playing in either the Jazz Ensemble or Jazz Band. Placement for the jazz groups is based on an initial audition held on the first day of camp and is assigned based on skill and performance level in the jazz medium.
A sampling of classes offered to wind and brass players includes:
- Wind Chamber Ensemble – Faculty coached small groups are formed (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn).
- Instrumental Choir – Faculty coached small ensembles of like instruments (flute, clarinet, double reed, horn, trumpet, low brass).
- Jazz Combo – Faculty coached group for jazz repertoire (saxophone, trumpet, trombone).
- Reed Making– Oboe and bassoon students receive instruction and supervision in making reeds for their instruments.
- Introduction to Jazz Improvisation – This class offers basic coaching in the technique of jazz improvisation focusing on the 12-bar blues, blues notes, and basic concepts of jazz improvisation.