Video Audition: All applicants are required to submit a video audition in their declared major area of study. It is only necessary to submit an audition for a declared minor if you will be participating in Concert/Symphony Band or Concert/Symphony Orchestra. For help creating and uploading your YouTube video read our tutorial: Three Easy Steps to Recording, Uploading, and Submitting your NEMC Audition Video
Deadlines: NEMC fills studio space on a rolling basis beginning each November – many studios fill early so we recommend registering in order to secure a spot in your instrumental studio. Audition videos may be submitted any time within 2-3 weeks of registration. If extra time is needed please just let us know!
Requirements for each area of study are detailed below:
String, Winds, Brass, Keyboard, Guitar and Vocal:
Two excerpts of contrasting style from your most current, well-prepared classical music pieces. *Accompaniment is preferable, particularly for vocal students.
Any student wishing to be considered for placement in a jazz group (saxophone, trumpet, trombone, percussion, piano, bass and guitar only) may submit one classical excerpt and one jazz style excerpt.
Junior Percussionists (ages 11-14)
- Snare drum etude or solo
- Bb major scale played on bells, xylophone, or marimba
- Optional: demonstration of drum set styles
Senior Percussionists (ages 15-18)
- 2 contrasting solos, etudes, or excerpts from orchestra or band music performed on snare drum, drumset, keyboard percussion, or timpani
Musical Theater Concentration:
- Two contrasting pieces from a Broadway musical, 32 measures each (must be performed with accompaniment)
- One 1-minute monologue
- Picture and resume (a current snapshot is sufficient)